Leather Corner Post
Est. in the 1860s
Leather Corner Post Hotel, 6855 Horseshoe Road, Orefield PA, was built in 1861, by Jacob George. Shortly before the Civil War, a tannery existed near the hotel, as did a post for the hitching of horses, which explains the name of the village. After George died it was sold to John Bear in 1882. Today it is a restaurant where patrons entertain each other playing the Boom-ba The following owners of the Leather Corner Post over its existence were:
1861 Jacob George
1893 John P. Bear
1895 Sarah and Henry M. Yundt
1898 Walter J. Miller
1924 William E. and Agnes S. Roth
1955 Alexander M. and Goldie Christman
1959 Stephen and Ruth Mazepa
1975 William N. and Wanda Zammer
1988 Don and Nancy Gillard
2002 Daren D. and Ann H. Miller
2007 Albert Anderson
Where does the name come from?
The name of Leather Corner Post originated after a very strange event. The story tells of a leather tannery down the road in which a chase occurred when a thief tossed heavy leather over the fence in order to run faster and escape the angry owners of the tannery. This particular piece of leather happened to land on a post used to tie up stage coach horses right in front of the hotel. Later in 1956 the Leather Corner Post Hotel became a bar/restaurant and it still exists as such today.